Tanning has come so far in such a little time, I have pasty white skin so since Completing my beauty therapy training 13 years ago I have always tanned, so these a tips and tricks I have learnt along the way. 9 times out of 10 these days people are fake tanned rather then real. And thats a good thing. Looking after your skin is so very important, you don’t want to bake out in the sun and damage all your skin cells (causing loss of elastin and collagen which is how wrinkles are born) and run the risk of getting Skin cancer. Dramatic I know but you really gotta look after your skin!!!!!!!!
Weather it be how to prep your skin for a tan (self tan or profession tan) or how to maintain your tan after…these tips are sure to get you the longest possible duration for your colour and iron out any problems with streaking ect.
BEFORE YOUR TAN
- Make sure you have any waxing done 2 days before and shaving 1 day prior.
- Scrub scrub scrub. Grab an exfoliant and give your body a good shedding (exfoliating is fabulous way of getting rid of all your dead skin cells…….your tan will grab to areas that have dry skin so best to give it a good scrub)
- Moisturise. By moisturing (especially after your scrub) you are making sure your skin in nourished with moisture allowing a more even colour and coverage.
- Wash your hair! A common mistake is to get your tan done and then the next night you wash your hair ready fro the weekend. The soap in the shampoos will react with your tan so better having your hair freshly washed right before you have your tan OR go to the hair dresser and get them to wash it in the basin!!
- Apply tan (or turn up to tan appointment) straight from shower. This means dry your self off with your towel and apply with circular motion> Making sure you have NO moisturiser, NO perfume, NO make up, NO deodorant. If you are going to a tanning appointment make sure you have loose close to change into after and a towel in your car (incase of rain. you don’t want to look like you have chicken pox)
AFTER YOUR TAN
- Depends how long your tan is on for (2-8hrs) make sure you remain cool and don’t do anything that is going to cause you to sweat your tan off. Best to do it when you know the kids have been bathed and excellent excuse to get out of washing up!!! If its in winter opposite, blast the heater as heat activates the colour in Tan.
- I generally wash my hands after 20 minutes of tanning. If you have an 8 hour tan on wash them after 4 hours, it just makes it look a little more natural. if its a 2 hour tan, wash them after 45 minutes.
- Once time is up have a QUICK 30 second shower and DO NOT USE SOAP!!!! And make sure you moisturise with a light moisturiser not a body butter as this will move any loose tan around too much. This step is very important. You will more then likely see all your colour go down the drain….this is just the cosmetic bronzer. Do Not Panic!
- The next 24 hours are vital. Make sure your next shower is 12 hrs hours after your initial tan shower. No exercise (Your colour will develop over the next 12-24 hrs so it is important to, not do anything that will cause you to sweat (exercise, team sport, sport, intimate exercise……yes that means no sex). No soap (just in the appropriate areas) No long baths or swimming, this will cause your colour to deteriorate at a fast rate and your tan may only last a couple of days.
Over the next 7 days make sure your showers are very short and minimal soap it used. Also if you tan weekly watch the next blog or vlog???? (undecided yet) on how to remove tan quick and easy!!!!!
If you have any queries or questions pop them in the comments below and I can try to help out where possible.